I'm interrupting this dormant dog-blog to write about my entry into the world of children's literature - there will still be the occasional mention of my erstwhile doggie companion who is still a pup in spirit, if not in size.

17 Jan 2012

Day 2 - Up and Atom!



So it’s 12.15 and we’re already two walks down. Pip is now sleeping soundly in his kennel – yay! I wasn’t sure if he’d take to the kennel – it came from another dog – but perhaps in the dog-world this is a good thing. Also, so far, he’s only slept in his crate – and he will, eventually, grow out of his crate. So taking to the kennel is definitely a good thing. But I’m wondering if the sleeping during the day is a good thing. Is he like a baby? If he sleeps too much during the day will his rhythms be all messed up? Will he be up howling half the night? I guess time will tell.

Last night, I slept lightly, expecting him to start whimpering or being distressed in some way. Of course, I wouldn’t have got up to him. He is after all just a dog, not a baby. But I was kind of anxious on his behalf. He was fine!

He did, however, wake the entire family just after 6am, full of beans and ready to start the day. I got up and got him out of his crate. He was super happy to see me – gotta love that about dogs! The problem was once he was out of his crate, he wouldn’t stay on the back verandah so I could get his breakfast (Puppy Super Coat for anyone interested). So after plenty of back and forth, him in the laundry, me outside, him outside, me outside, me inside, he inside, etc, finally I trapped him outside so I could pour out his food without being mauled to death. I thought that just maybe, maybe after I’d fed him I could go back to bed.

Fat chance! He began barking loud enough to wake the neighbourhood and he hadn’t even finished his breakfast. He was just so happy to be alive and ready to explore the world – he couldn’t contain himself! Already, Pip is teaching me so much. I hope I am worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment