I'm interrupting this dormant dog-blog to write about my entry into the world of children's literature - there will still be the occasional mention of my erstwhile doggie companion who is still a pup in spirit, if not in size.

16 Feb 2012

An inside dog


Went to doggie playgroup again on Wednesday. Frankie and Mrs Sinatra came and Pip was in doggie heaven.

Pip  and friends from doggie playgroup





  Meanwhile, I have been experimenting over the past couple of days with letting Pip inside...with mixed results.

 Him-in-Doors fixed a couple of non-closing doors so we can zone the house. Pip basically has access to the hallway, lounge and dining area and ahem, the kitchen.
He’s loving being inside. And I have to say it has made life easier in some respects. Getting in and out of the house has ceased being a drama. Previously, someone would go outside to have a chat and a pat with Pip. This was all fine but when they wanted to come back in the house, Pip wanted to come too. It was literally a two-person job – one to distract, the other to open the door and then both scuttling in. As Pip is getting bigger, this has been particularly difficult because he bars the door, either by lying in front of it or standing on his hind-legs like a human and pawing at the security door. Now, he just waltzes in as if it's only fit and proper that he should have access to the castle!
Pip inside on my favorite new rug
 
We’ve decided the couches are off-limits. Which takes a bit of policing because he is fully aware that when it comes to relaxing; couches equal pole position. I’ve brought his favourite Winnie-the-Pooh rug inside for him to lie on (as an inferior couch substitute) and he’s taken a liking to my new Ikea blue rug – not much I can do about that one.
Tuesday – the first day I let Pip have some quality indoor time – we put him out for the night at about 7.30pm. He was outraged! Didn’t we know, he was now an indoor-dog!
Anyway, he barked for a good hour before resigning himself to his fate. Also, Him-In-Doors barking at him through the window to ‘be quiet’ seemed to actually work.
He grabs anything left lying around - shoes are his favourite - but tissues abandoned on coffee tables, small toys and school notices are all potential fodder. I'm hoping this might make my hitherto slobby family mend their ways - but so far it's just making them yell more. 
We've only had one pee on the floor so far which I consider to be pretty good going...

No comments:

Post a Comment