I'm interrupting this dormant dog-blog to write about my entry into the world of children's literature - there will still be the occasional mention of my erstwhile doggie companion who is still a pup in spirit, if not in size.

28 Feb 2012

A confession


Have been reading up on blogging and apparently it pays to be self-effacing. So, dear readers, I will confess a dirty secret. In the school playground, (while waiting to pick up the kids) I find it hard to fit in.
Pip is gaining his own personal fan club so simply being Pip’s mum has done wonders for my street cred but there's no denying there's a bit of a clique thing happening.

Ocean Grove Mum's pose for my blog

The thing is; Ocean Grove is packed to the gunnels with long-legged, blonde, designer Mammas – and they tend to stick together. Of course, now that I have a dog, I don’t have to worry about talking to anyone else...

But seeking out the non-blonde, Target-wearing, creative types has been a personal mission of mine. (And for anyone worrying, yes I have made some friends other than my dog!)
There is no one, perhaps with the exception of D2, that Pip would rather be with than me. And, yes okay he’s just a dog, but I happen to think that’s kinda cool. When the kids were little, they felt that way about me but now they fit me in if it suits them.
Pip follows me around the house so doggedly, he even waits patiently outside the toilet door. And he lies patiently on his designer doggie bed snoozing while I write.
Yesterday, I’d met up with some friends and we’d gone to an outside loo. I asked my friend if she’d hold Pip’s leash while I went and he practically pulled her arm off trying to get inside to be with me.
The beauty of a dog, of course, is they don’t care if you’ve got a sudden zit sprouting on your top lip. They don’t care if you haven’t put any make-up on or if you’re having a bad hair day. They don’t care if you’re wearing your daggiest tracky pants and a mis-matching tee that unattractively shows your muffin-top. They love you exactly as you are, right then, right now.
  And it’s great!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment